Celebrate Friendship Weekend with GayBombay, at our first ever overnight outing! The trip is to Malshej, nestled at an altitude of 700 metres in the Western Ghats, where cascading waterfalls, veils of mist and lush carpets of green weave an atmosphere of magic during monsoons. Commercial exploitation has not come to Malshej in any big way, as it has to many other places on the Western Ghats, and the only resort there is owned by the Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation. 8 months ago, GB moved to book the entire dormitory space in resort for our Friendship Day event, giving our community an exclusive, not-to-be-missed opportunity to enjoy a truly beautiful place.
This trip is open to the first 40 who register and pay, so hurry up and do so! Besides the home crowd from Bombay, guys from Pune, Nasik and Ahmednagar will also be joining us, so expect to make a lot of new friends on this wet, wet weekend!
We shall depart at sharp 8:00 am on Saturday 02 August 2014 by a 2×2 semi luxury bus parked at the main gate of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali (East). Several pick-up locations enroute, including some new ones in the extended suburbs have been added. These are as follows:
08:00 am: Main Gate, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali (East)
08:15 am: Oberoi Mall, Junction, Malad (West)
08:35 am: Gold Spot (Bisleri) Factory, Western Express Highway, Andheri (East).
08:50 am: Kala Nagar Junction Bandra, (At the Kala Nagar/BKC exit of the new Skywalk)
08:55 am: Main Gate, Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, Near Sion Station.
09:05 am: Amar Mahal Junction, Chembur (East)
09:30 am: MHADA Colony Junction, Eastern Express Highway, Mulund (East)
09:40 am: Teen Hath Naka, Thane (East).
09:45 am: Main Gate, Jupiter Hospital, Thane (East),
10:15 am: Durgadi, Kalyan (West)
10:25 am: Prem Auto, Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Syndicate Junction, Kalyan (West)
11:05 am: Murbad ST Stand
We shall arrive at our resort in Malshej at around 12 noon and check-in immediately. Veg. Lunch shall be served at 1 pm after which we shall venture out to the various waterfalls to welcomed back to the resort at 6 pm. with Tea/Coffee and snacks. Veg/Non-Veg dinner shall be served at 9:00 pm, to be followed by campy-fire and games.
On the next day (Sunday 03 August 2014) shall begin with breakfast, both veg. and non-veg; to be served at 9 am after which we shall visit the Back Waters of the Pimpal Joga Dam. Here we hope to check out the flamingos from Siberia. On return we shall have Veg/Non-Veg Lunch at 1 pm. We check out of the resort after lunch and then drive down to Fort Shivneri. a strongly-built citadel where Shivaji was born. Climbing up the fort would have been an arduous task, if not for the motorable road till the first of the seven gates of Shivneri fort. The paths around the fort and to the monument where Shivaji was born are set through well manicured gardens. After visiting the fort we shall commence our return journey to Mumbai by 5 pm.
Contribution to defray costs:
Rs. 1800.00 per head
Participants from cities other than Mumbai shall contribute Rs. 1250.00 per head. However they have to organise their own transport to Malshej. Only 7 places have been reserved for other city participants.
The charges include:
1. Dormitory accommodation.
2. Transport to Malshej and Back, including sightseeing locations (except other city participants contributing Rs. 1200).
2. All meals listed above. In-addition two snacks shall be served on the bus, one each during onward and return journey.
3. Entry Fees to the fort.
4. Camp-fire and games and activities
Registration & Payments:
To join this weekend outing you need to register and make your contribution in advance. To Register click on the following link and complete the registration form.
For any queries send a mail to Radhey at email@example.com or call us on the Picnic Info line 9870504010
To make your contribution catch us at the following GayBombay Events:
On 19 July 2014 from 09:00 pm to 01:30 am: Gay Bombay Party at Sweda Lounge, Sagar Tech Plaza, Saki Naka, Kurla Andheri Road, Mumbai 400072
On 27 July 2014 from 05:30 to 06:00 pm: GayBombay Sunday Meet at Cafe Coffee Day, Korum Mall, Near Cadburys, Eastern Express Highway, Thane (West).
Details regarding the above event are available at www.gaybombay.org and at the GayBombay Facebook Page.
The following rules shall apply to registration and participants:
1. Only persons above the age of 18 are allowed to register for the outing.
2. Registrations can only be made through the web link provided.
3. Registrations shall only be confirmed on receipt of contribution
4. Registrations are not transferable.
5. The organisers reserve the right to decline any registration.
6. Participants should pay their contributions latest by Sunday 27 July 2014
7. Participants shall carry and provide to the organisers an original photo identity proof of themselves along with 2 photocopies of the same. These are to be submitted to the resort authorities as per the prevailing laws of the land.
8. All participants shall follow instructions of the organisers at all times during the outing. Timelines provided must be adhered to avoid delays.
9. The organisers reserve the right of discretion to allot beds and dormitories to the participants
10. No participant shall be allowed to avail his own separate accommodation at the resort or elsewhere. All the rooms at the resort for the weekend are currently sold out.
11. The resort rules bar consumption of mild or hard alcoholic beverages on its premises. There are no restaurants in the vicinity serving alcoholic beverages.
12. This outing is NOT organised to facilitate indulgence in any form of sexual activity. The aim of the outing to foster and promote solidarity and community spirit. Any participant/s found/reported indulging in any form of sexual activity shall be asked the leave the resort premises immediately and shall be denied any further participation. There is no resort in the 5 km radius of our resort and extremely meagre and skeletal transport services are available.
Things to do:
1. Carry any special medication or food, if you need them
2. Carry binoculars, if you are interested.
3. Carry several pairs of clothes including undergarments and socks that you want to change in if you happen to soil/wet the ones you are wearing.
4. Bring along your swimming trunks and sun creams
5. Carry your toiletries and a couple of towels.
6. Bring along your swimming trunks and sun creams,
7. Carry your wind-cheaters, raincoats. Umbrellas may not hold against the strong winds.
8. Carry light woollens as the evening and the night could be chilly.
9. The ecology of the wilderness is very fragile. Be eco-friendly and refrain from littering the place.
10. GB, as a support group, has created this comfort/safe space for gays. Many people at the event may be “newbies” (those still coming to terms with their sexuality and/or those who have mustered the courage to come to such an event for the first time). We request you to be sensitive to the comfort levels of others and to behave and dress accordingly.
Suggested Reading & viewing: