by Deepak Kashyap
- What makes some people gay and not others?
- Being gay or straight is not in someone’s hand. Geneticists and other researchers are looking at many areas like epigenetics (hormonal effects on turning on and off of a gene), genetics (DNA make-up), pre-natal hormones and brain structure.
Despite all the wonderful and expensive research going on around the world, we till today don’t know much about anything regarding the origins of homosexuality. The results which we have from those researches are not conclusive.
Having said that, almost all the researches done with a scientific rigor, points in one direction, that is, homosexuality is not a choice and it is a result of biological forces which are not completely known yet. We do know that, parental upbringing has no influence on the child’s sexual orientation like most Freudians have believed up until quite recently.
Sexual orientations are quite permanent in nature and it is very hard to change and make someone “straight.”
Molestation in childhood also has no link to sexual orientation in adulthood.
- How do we know whether someone is gay or not?
- You don’t need to know whether someone’s gay or not. It is a very private piece of information about their lives which they shouldn’t be forced to share with anyone they don’t choose to share it with. Respect everyone’s personal struggle with issues they have in life. Give people time, space and comfort enough to come out on their own, if you ‘suspect’ that they might be gay.
Many gay people themselves, generally speaking, don’t have much to question as to what their sexual orientation dictates, because it comes so naturally to them. However, there are still quite a lot of people who can be genuinely confused about their sexual orientation. And IT’S OKAY to QUESTION oneself about whether they are gay, straight or bisexual. As sexuality for some people is too fluid to be categorized in neat compartments. Sexual orientations are not just defined by “whom you have slept with?” Or “whom they are sleeping with?”, but by “whom they desire to sleep and have a romantic relationship with”; the major way one discovers their sexual orientation is by one’s sexual fantasies. Again, one needs to extend a lot of kindness and love towards oneself during this process of self-discovery.
- Are all effeminate guys gay? Why are so many gay guys effeminate?
- No, not all gay people are effeminate. There are many “masculine” boys and men who are gay as well. It’s just that effeminacy in a man gives him more visibility compared to the “masculine stereotype of a man”, which helps them blend in with the crowd. Some men who are gay might consciously hide their homosexuality behind the same masculine façade in a more successful way, or so they think, compared to others who can’t help but be visible. That’s also a fortunate reason that most gay rights movements around the world, from Stonewall to Humsafar Trust in India, by people who can’t help but be and look themselves.
Unconscious mannerism (masculine or feminine), just like many traits about ourselves are governed by our biological and psychological natures. Hormones and other mostly unknown biological factors govern how people will sound like (high pitch or low pitch voice), walk like and talk like. If that wasn’t the case, why do you think people will choose to act or behave in a certain way (boys being feminine in this case) which can only get them ridiculed, ostracized and trivialized. When we are not acting, we are just being ourselves. I think we should not let our internalized sexism and misogyny, give us the right to make fun of people.
- Aren’t most homosexuals pedophiles? Isn’t homosexuality linked to pedophilia?
- All homosexuals are pedophiles just as all heterosexuals are rapists. Pedophilia and homosexuality have no link to each other. Even the researchers suggest that there are neurological and endocrine abnormalities in pedophilia but not in homosexuals. In fact, some research suggests that homosexuality may have a genetic basis, whereas there is no evidence to date for a genetic factor in pedophilia.
Isn’t sex between two men and two women un-natural? You can’t even have babies, can you? Are you all impotent?
No, it is not. Homosexuality has been found not only in humans but in almost every other primate species, some fish species and other animals. You can see homosexual sexual activity and pair-bonding in flamingoes, cats, bison, geese, dolphins, bonobos, monkeys , dogs, donkeys to name a few. There is nothing in nature which is extra-natural or un-natural, remember the verse Vikruti Evam Prakriti (what seems un-natural is also natural) from Rigveda.
Anyway, homosexuality is natural because it comes naturally to humans.
Just because someone is homosexual that doesn’t mean that they are impotent. Impotence has no links to homosexuality. If that was the case then how is it that those homosexuals who choose to marry women still have children? Also many homosexual couples AND single individuals go for surrogacy. They very well adopt children too.
The whole argument of ‘sex is for reproduction’ is very misleading and simply not true. Humans are among those very few species of animals that have sex not only for reproduction, but to express love, experience emotional fulfillment and to enjoy their lives. It is true for heterosexuals alike. To repeat, expression of love and experience of emotional fulfillment are equally important purpose and some times more important than reproduction. That’s why heterosexual couples with no children are not forced to separate from each other.
- Isn’t “homosexuality” a western import?
- It is as much a western import as Kama-sutra and Vedas are.
It is not a western import. It is not an import at all for anyone. It is just a form of human diversity which has been recorded mostly in ancient Indian texts only second to the Greeks.
In fact Indian texts from antiquity talks about homosexuality just the way they would talk about heterosexuality, with the exception of the few texts. Just one look at our cultural heritage from before “foreign” invasions would tell you that those temples in Khajuraho and Ajanta and Ellora and possibly every temple which is even as old as 800 years, could not have been the product of a society which was sexually repressed. AND statutes depicting homosexuality is not a recent addition to the murals on those temples.
- Homosexuality causes AIDS, doesn’t it?
- No, homosexuality doesn’t cause AIDS. A virus, called HIV causes AIDS. This virus can be transferred through sexual activities and some activities which are not sexual at all. Straight people (heterosexuals) can get HIV through the same mediums and unprotected sexual activities as gay people (homosexuals) can.
And since when has AIDS become our standard of moral judgment. If that was the case then lesbian sex is the safest sex of all. That should be recommended, shouldn’t it be?
Having said that it is important to recognize that homosexual men are more likely of getting HIV statistically compared to their straight counter parts. That’s not because they are gay, it’s because they are ignorant of the dangers involved with sex itself. In almost every part of the developing world the homosexual population is the hidden and inaccessible population with no means of finding out about the right practices and no power with the NGO of educating this segment of society. The similar case was with the straight population before the onset of AIDS epidemic, but it was easier to educate them and talk to them, as it wasn’t ILLEGAL to be straight.
- Straight people don’t flaunt their sexualities why do gay people have to do that?
- Straight people flaunt their sexualities all the time, directly or indirectly, through reference to their girlfriend, boyfriend or husbands and wives, through letting people maintain the assumption that they are straight and by merely discussing their future hopes and dreams about their personal lives. Gay people should be allowed and appreciated if they choose to do the same in their own ways.
- Isn’t anal sex un-natural and unhygienic?
- Human anus is and has been used as a sexual organ as well, as uncommon as this knowledge might be. Human anus has a lot of nerve endings which can give a lot of sexual pleasure if dealt with a lot of care just like any other sexual organ. Heterosexual sex also involves anal sex more times than we would like to admit. However, special protection and care has to be used in case of anal intercourse as it is a very delicate organ. It is always advisable to use a lot of lubrication and condoms for safe and pleasurable sexual experience.
Using lubrications for Sex is not natural; Some women who experience a non-sufficient amount of vaginal fluids are medically advised to use lubrication to facilitate and enhance their sexual pleasure. And since when has lubrication become the standard of morality?
Yes, anal sex can be unhygienic, just like any other sexual activity if the body parts involved are not cleaned properly. It’s a question of personal hygiene in general, which can apply to vagina and penis too.
- Don’t people change once they have married a person from the opposite sex?
- No, they don’t change their sexual orientation. They still desire partners of the same sex even if they have been married “happily” to the partner of opposite sex. Besides homosexual, just like anyone else should not destroy a girl’s married life, which in most cases is her entire life; by marrying them as a means “cure” themselves.
- Is homosexuality all about sex?
- No, it is not just about sex. It is about love and emotional fulfillment, which a homosexual can get only with the partner of the same sex. It is about romance and it’s about the same dreams and hopes which straight people have with their personal lives they share with who they choose to love. It’s about the freedom to be oneself and acceptance of one’s nature.
- Can homosexuality be spread and will homosexuality increase if the female population decreases?
- No it can’t be spread. Like it has been mentioned above in this document, no one can choose to be gay or straight or force others to be gay or straight. It is out of a conscious decision making faculties of our brain.
Society will continue to function the way it has been functioning, because historical evidence suggest that in any given population the majority (80-90 percent) have opposite sex attraction, it isn’t likely to change any soon and besides it is in no one’s hand. One can rest assured that if India’s population dwindles down to that of an endangered species, gay men and lesbian women would be more than happy to donate their sperms and eggs to support it back to a less scary number.
We have no research till today to prove that straight men will become gay if the number of women in the general population goes down. This is a myth. We can safely say that increased number of women will not affect the number of gay men born in anyway either.
- Doesn’t homosexuality destroy the moral fabric of society?
- The hues and colors of so called moral fabric are very different for all of us.
Corrosion of a moral fabric happens through actions of individuals and not through personal identities. Certain forms of heterosexual activities are threatening to the so called moral fabric of this country like dowries, marital rapes, and forced marriages on the basis of caste, class and color of skin.
Male chauvinism, female subordination and female infanticide giving rise to the alarmingly lop-sided sex ratio are some of the major culprits and threats to the social fabric of justice.
Two consensual adults expressing their sexuality and love for the same sex partner is not a threat to this society. Legalization of homosexuality will only make gay people happier by giving them dignity and full ownership of their bodies and minds, guaranteed to every citizen by our constitution.